The Dangers and Delights of Diamantina

Waiting in joyful hope (usually) as I discern a possible vocation, religious and/or literary.

quarta-feira, 10 de setembro de 2008

Renovating the bathrooms

Last Friday, I fell through the floor of the master bathroom. The floor had been rotting for months, if not years. It was weird to be one moment on tile and the next moment in mud, two feet or so below the tile. Thank goodness I only received a few scratches!

My mother had deferred maintenance because we don't have a lot of money. Ever since my father left in 1996, things have been tight financially chez da Brescia. However, my falling through the floor was the last straw. Now we are having renovated the second bathroom, which has been out of commission for years. I would love to be able to use the bathtub in there once the work is finished! After the second bathroom is finished, my mother plans to get the master bathroom done. And of course the roof has to be repaired before the rainy season starts again: we don't want to use buckets to collect the rainwater in the dining room for a long long time.

I told Mom that I could give her $2000. All she said is "we'll see."