The Dangers and Delights of Diamantina

Waiting in joyful hope (usually) as I discern a possible vocation, religious and/or literary.

segunda-feira, 8 de setembro de 2008

Caritas Christi

I have been in contact with the secular institute Caritas Christi. However, there is a bit of a snag, since I am not gainfully employed. I think I could work part-time (10 to 20 hours a week to start with, then gradually increase up to 30 hours). In fact, I think that I could easily become qualified to be a parish director of religious education (DRE). In my parish, the duties of the DRE are split according to the age of the students. There is a DRE for the elementary school level and a DRE for middle school and high school students. Each, I think, works between 30 to 40 hours a week. (The effective DREs for RCIA and adult religious education are one of the deacons and his wife.)

Of course, this is all moot if I do not keep my Medi-Cal health insurance, which is probably the main reason I am reluctant to go to (paid) work. (I have calculated that my three psychotropic medications would cost nearly $700 a month if I had to pay the full cost out of pocket.) Social Security has a Ticket to Work program that I have been looking into. I don't know whether the Ticket to Work would facilitate my becoming a parish DRE, however.