The Dangers and Delights of Diamantina

Waiting in joyful hope (usually) as I discern a possible vocation, religious and/or literary.

sexta-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2007

Eating crab

My mother has told me that when my uncle Vincent came to visit the California da Brescia branch, Dad took him to a surf-and-turf restaurant where there was an all-you-can-eat special on crab legs. Dad and Uncle Vincent stayed at the restaurant till it closed, trying to outdo the other in eating crabs: Mom does not remember who won the "contest".

This afternoon, for a late lunch before the 5:30 P.M. vigil Mass for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception at Sacred Heart, Mom took me to the local Red Lobster. I decided to order the Ultimate Feast ("A tender Maine lobster tail, steamed snow crab legs, garlic shrimp scampi and Walt's Favorite Shrimp": I substituted the shrimp scampi for Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp, which I enjoy more) since my only breakfast had been two slices of chocolate Bundt cake and two Lindor chocolate truffles. I had a hard time cracking the crab legs, but oh! It was worth it -- better even than the lobster. Thank goodness we were through eating by 4:45 P.M.: I had enough time to wait before receiving Holy Communion around 6:10 P.M. (I was serving as a Eucharistic minister at the Mass, since it was not my week to lector.)